Skype changed the new 3.5 Windows version from beta status to a stable release today. You can get it here: download Skype 188.8.131.52 for Windows
Remember some of my negative remarks on this new version in my previous blogposts. But of course, some new features are valuable!
They mention as new (since the previous beta releases):
- Safety and Privacy Improvements
- API: SET_INPUT for recording Voicemail
I didn’t notice any changes in the privacy settings (perhaps i overlooked something). But i read this on Skype Journal: Your home/business/mobile phone numbers are only displayed to your accepted Skype contacts, and not to everyone on Skype, when viewing your profile, etc.
If this is true, i am not happy at all: my main Skype account is a professional one, and i want potential customers to know my phone numbers and to call me! I would prefer an option in the privacy settings to show it or not show it! Most businesses want their phone numbers to be known. This "feature" is aimed at private persons. In my opinion again a wrong move, away from business needs.
The other new features (omitting the API and other small changes like languages) compared to the 3.2 version are:
- Video Snapshot: Edit video snapshot should use system's PNG editor
- Added fields in Options to allow Auto Redial on/off and delay between redials
- Video Snapshot: right click on snapshot should provide a menu
- Add video to mood and chat message
- Video snapshot
- Support for Firewire Digital cameras
- Auto redial
- Call Transfer (during active call)
- Device Indicators
- Edit chat messages
- Private Telephone Numbers
- Send contacts inside chat
- Visual indicators for Audio In / Audio Out in options
- In-Client Hardware store button