I found an interesting number: they claim they have 196 million users.
This is a false statement as i explained in the past in SkypeJournal in “How many users does Skype have today?”. They should replace the word Users by User Names or Skype Accounts.
I will repeat my statements of that article … some Skype names are not used at all for any of the following reasons (non exclusive list)::
- lost passwords, and therefore inaccessible username
- tests, and abandoned use of the name
- spare usernames, registered for future use (I have several!)
- the owner of the username died (yes, this also happens!)
- the person switched to another VoIP tool
- the person registered a temporary name for a temporary past situation.
But the question stays open: HOW MANY REAL REGULAR USERS DOES SKYPE HAVE NOW?
My guess: Less than 50 million!