Several bloggers or journalists comment on the new statistics of TeleGeography on calling. For instance David Meyer on ZDNET.
TeleGeography mentions that “not all of Skype's traffic is a net loss for international carriers”. My call to India was clearly one of these!
Some TeleGeography numbers concerning 2008:
- Cross border telephone traffic: 384 billion minutes
- Skype international traffic: 33 billion minutes
- Total: 417 billion minutes
- SkypeOut (Skype to landlines): 8.4 billion minutes
The growth of Skype is quite spectacular!
- 2005: 2.8% of international calls
- 2006: 4.4%
- 2007: I didn’t find data, but let us suppose 6%
- 2008: 8.0%