Then some weeks ago i caught again data from the Alexa website. And i did it again on May 1.
The table below shows the top 5 visiting countries of the Skype.com websites on those 3 different dates.
Here the objective remarks:
- In January 16.5% of the visits came from 4 smaller emerging countries (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Algeria and Slovakia), and 9% from "Big Brother" U.S.A.;
- On April 15, one of the smaller countries left the top 5 and was replaced by … China!
- On May 1st, all the smaller countries left the top 5, and were replaced by 3 big rich industrialised countries (Germany, Italy, United kingdom);
- The U.S.A. has reinforced its first position: it has more then doubled its share of the website visits, with 20% of all the visits;
- China also increased its share and rose from the third position to the second position;
- About 25% of the visits came from the top 5 countries in January and April 15, and rose quite spectacularly to 43% after April 21!.
- In January the smaller emerging countries were in the top 5 because they invest heavily in fast internet connections, which means that people now have the possibility to use Skype, therefore … more website visits!
- The addition of China in the top 5 is a confirmation that the Chinese internet penetration is accelerating;
- Skype launched its new calling subscription plan on April 21. A lot of people from rich countries went to the website to check the prices;
- The interest of the USA in the new subscription plan is also very clear!
- And China continues to grow!
- Spending money on Skype is a rich countries business!