Believe me or not, there are 25 restaurants listed in Brussels.
Do the test yourself: search “What: restaurant – Where: Brussels – Find listings in: Belgium”.
OOPS! Only 9 listed!
Do the same search but replace Brussels with Brussel or Bruxelles, here are the results:
- restaurant - Brussels: 9 found
- restaurant - Brussel: 11 found
- restaurant - Bruxelles: 14 found
The third search listed 14 different ones. So, 11 + 14 = 25 and i am not a liar ;-)
How come? In Dutch we say Brussel, in French we say Bruxelles, and in English, Brussels. Most people add a listing with the name of the city in one language, and when you make a search it only lists those locations with the exact spelling!
How to circumvent it? I listed my own business, and did put the location like this:
- City: Gent - Ghent – Gand
- Area: Oostakker (this is a suburb of Ghent)
I have a car, therefore if i want to find a restaurant in my province (field “Region” in the SkypeFind database), and i put East Flanders as search location, it finds nothing. If i leave the city location blank it finds all the restaurants in Belgium, but some are really too far.
While registering my business, i hoped to find a field to put my Skype account name. NO WAY! Skype to Skype calls will always be free, but no way to put a Skype ID, business is business! Call your favourite businesses with SkypeOut! So, is Skype a TELCO?
Then i wondered if i could edit the listing of somebody else. Ooh yes! I saw that restaurant Ter Toren was listed in the city “Oostakker”. This is wrong, it should be Gent, so i changed it, and did put (like for my own business) Gent – Ghent – Gand. I could even add some more keywords. Could I have added “sex”, or “never hallal food” or something like that? I could even change the name of the business! What if somebody does that with the name of my business?
Therefore, some improvement work to do for Skype:
- Make the search “language independent” by making a database of postcodes linked to a name (for instance).
- Let the user refine the geographical zone he wants to search in
- Have a field for the Skype ID of the business
- Let Business Owner have exclusive rights on some fields (name, telephone number, etc.) or give them at least the possibility to “take control over it”, but I guess Skype marketers already thought about it: perhaps another way to make money in the future?
- Have an input for the geographical coordinates of the location, and link this with some route planner or Google Earth.